I am very happy to be joining the LGMS team and to be working with you and your children this year as we all grow and learn together. A little information about myself: I have been teaching since 2000 and I have a background in special education and a strong interest in different learning styles and modalities so you will hear about a lot of different ways that we are learning together in our classroom this year! In addition to other classroom and resource room settings that I have taught from grades 3-8, I have spent over ten years in grade five and I really enjoy the learning that takes place during this year of school.
I know that there will be some changes and questions as we each get to know each other. If you have a chance to stop in after school in the next week or two, please come by and introduce yourself. I would also like to invite you to join me for an open house in our classroom the evening of Thursday, Nov. 24th from 6:30-7:15. Please stop by to to ask me any questions, or share any information with me, that can help us to have a positive year.
Homework info: In general students should have very little this year. As long as they are focused in class, there will be enough time at school to get finished.
Each week: We will be continuing with daily reading and reading logs, begun by Miss.K, and in addition there will be one short homework assignment which I’d encourage you to help your child with. We will alternate between a spelling homework assignment and a math homework assignment. The assignments will be due, and the spelling test will take place, in the morning of the last day of the school week.
1. Spelling - There will be a short assignment/brain activity and a list of 10 words to practice.
2. Math weekly - This assignment is made of 5 math questions, related mainly to our number unit. Students are welcome to use any strategy (not using a calculator) to help them get their answers.
Homework assignments are meant to help build responsibility and accountability as well as to help students get into the habit of completing some work at home. I encourage family members to check in with their child. I also recommend short daily practices at home using math skills (one questions each of + - x ÷ can help build skills and confidence) as well as paired and individual reading.
Finally, advance notice will be given for all tests including study guides and/or practice tests. Parent help with studying is much appreciated!
You will find all this information and more on my classroom blog which is updated each week. It will include upcoming assignments, test information and other important details about our classroom. I also use our Blog and Twitter to post pictures of activities and student generated work. Want to know what we did in school? This is a great way to start those conversations at home. Please check it out! You can even enter your email address to receive blog updates directly. (Although you signed the FOIP agreement upon registration, please let me know if you do not want pictures or student work samples for your child to appear on our Twitter or classroom blog.)
I look forward to meeting you the evening of Nov.24th, if not before. We are going to have a great year together!
Mrs. Tina Blackwell
Mrs.Blackwell's grade 5 class
email: Tina.Blackwell@crps.ca
Twitter: @MrsBsmartcookie
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.